LGBTQ Health Affirming Practitioner
As a LGBTQ Health Affirming Practitioner
- I respect your chosen name, your preferred gender pronouns, and your sexual history.
- I don’t make assumptions about your health and lifestyle based on appearance, sexual orientation or gender identity.
- I am a sex positive doctor, working with patients who identify as poly, kinky, or other identities.
- I affirm body positivity, and I practice based on a Health At Every Size philosophy. While this issue applies to everyone, it can disproportionately affect LGBTQ folks who may be dealing with body shaming on other levels as well.
- I work to ensure that you feel respected, safe and as comfortable as possible during sensitive procedures such as a pap / pelvic exam, no matter your sexual history or gender identity.
LGBTQ Fertility and Artificial Insemination Services
This is a passion of mine, and a personal story for me as well. When I decided to conceive my son with donor sperm through artificial insemination many years ago, I had a lot of questions, and my doctors had few answers. I’ve spent the last decade learning about the unique needs of lesbian couples, trans couples, and single parents by choice and others who are using donor sperm to grow their families.
In addition to offering IUI services, I offer 90 minute consults designed to answer all your questions including:
- How do I choose a donor?
- What are the differences between using a known/directed and anonymous donor?
- What is CMV and how does it affect me?
- What is basal body temperature and ovulation tracking, and how do I do this correctly?
- How do I time inseminations for optimal fertility?
- How does fertility testing and treatment differ between people using donor sperm and people using a partner’s sperm?
- What fertility testing should I have done, and when? What are the costs associated with insemination, and how do I keep those costs down?
This 90 minute session is your opportunity to ask any questions you have. Every person or family is in a unique situation, and these sessions are tailored to meet your needs.
*Please note, fertility health is not covered by most insurance providers. Even if your insurance covers my services as a naturopathic doctor, they may not cover fertility related visits.
- Intrauterine insemination in office or at home.
- Fertility consult (usually between 60-90 minutes depending on your needs)
- Fertility related services such as treating irregular cycle, PCOS, anovulation, or other health conditions that may affect fertility.
- Use of natural and prescription medications to help optimize fertility.
What about medications to increase fertility?
Some patients come to me because they want to avoid using medications such as Clomid and Femara to get pregnant, and would prefer other, more natural treatments. Others come to me because they want to see a naturopathic doctor who puts their needs first and sees them as a unique individual. There are times when using these types of medication are safe, effective and helpful for getting pregnant, and as a naturopath I can prescribe these when needed. However my opinion is that these medications can be over prescribed to LGBTQ individuals at fertility clinics, which specialize in Infertility treatments vs. supporting healthy fertility needs.
Live Better Naturally
Get the latest updates, health advice and news, and upcoming events: